Who is an Analyst?
This exam focuses on the Appian Analyst skillset. If you are a Project Manager, Delivery Manager, Scrum Master, Solution Architect, Success Manager, or are otherwise involved in planning Appian solutions then you may be interested in taking this exam.
As an Analyst, you typically work with clients to gather, interpret, and document requirements, and create user stories. You have a keen understanding of how to translate business needs into Appian requirements. You are well-aware of Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), and Agile methodologies and best practices.
You can leverage Appian features to create future state process diagrams and determine new use cases. At a high level, you understand how Appian can integrate with other third party technologies. You participate in all phases of an Appian delivery lifecycle, including requirements definition, story writing, prioritization, refinement, testing, and user guides documentation.
What does the Certified Analyst Exam Cover?
The Analyst exam consists of 50 questions spanning a breadth of topics and skills determined by a global team of Appian practitioners. This is a list of key topics found on the exam to help you prepare. Note that this list is not exhaustive.
- Introduction to the Appian Platform
- Identify the purpose of each Appian object
- Locate commonly-used Appian resources
- Recognize primary roles in application security
- Describe common Appian use cases
- Differentiate between Appian user experiences
- Associate each development tool with its purpose
- Design the user experience
- Identify uses cases likely to require third party integrations
- Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)
- Identify the role of the Analyst in each phase of the SDLC
- Associate roles and responsibilities of other team members in the SDLC
- Describe each stage of the Appian SDLC
- Explain the scrum lifecycle of a user story
- Participate in the various Agile scrum ceremonies
- Recall the need for different environments and how they are used
- Evaluate a test scenario before user acceptance testing (UAT)
- Requirements Gathering
- Identify the purpose of requirements gathering
- Explain how Appian features address common business requirements
- Identify important elements when gathering initial requirements
- Translate customer requirements into user stories and Appian development plans
- Solve common challenges in requirements gathering
- Explain when common UI components should be used for Appian interfaces
- User Story Creation
- Illustrate the standard user story format
- Categorize user stories and collect appropriate requirements based on categorization
- Work with product owners to manage the product backlog
- Identify the story status
- Explain different components of a user story
- Process Modeling
- Identify each of the different integration types
- Illustrate the best method to clearly define user roles when creating a process model diagram
- Identify common Business Process Model Notation (BPMN) elements
- Specify which nodes would/wouldn’t be used in a given scenario
- Explain the most common gateway types used in Appian’s Process Modeler
- Describe the benefits of creating future state process models with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs)
- Identify automation opportunities from a given process
Taking the Test
The Appian Certified Analyst exam is available through our proctored testing platform. You will have 60 minutes to complete 50 questions. The price for the exam session is $200, payable when you schedule your exam. The cost of the exam is for each attempt, and does not include any exam retakes.
You may cancel or reschedule your exam for a small fee. Failing to arrive for the scheduled time, a “no-show,” results in the full price of the exam being collected regardless of the attempt status.
Certification fees are non-refundable, the fee covers grading and materials. Paying the certification fee does not guarantee awarding of the certification.
Have additional questions about the exam process? Check the Appian Certification Frequently Asked Questions page.
Need to Prepare?
Content from our Appian Foundations and Delivery Methodology courses well help you prepare for this exam.
You should also be familiar with Appian’s Documentation, which contains all of the technical knowledge required for the exam. Additionally, review the Appian Knowledge Base for support articles about frequently-asked-topics.
Have More Questions?
We’re here to help. If you have any questions about what to expect during the test, or Appian’s Certification Program in general, check our Frequently Asked Questions page! For a more detailed breakdown, you can also read our Policies and Procedures page.
Schedule or Take Exam