CDT vs Record Type

Hi,

I am very new to Appian and i am going through some of the courses, which i think are very helpful.

I am reading and learning about CDT and Record Type. They look similar to me but i am sure there is something that i am missing. When would you use one vs another (example)? Appreciate your help and comments as i navigate and learn Appian.

Thank you!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Senior Developer

After reading the replies of the former members, I would like to add one more point to this discussion. Record types act as a blueprint of the database, that's why it is not required to query the database to display or view the data while using records. On the other hand, while using CDTs we need to query the database to view or display the data. This makes data management through record types faster and more efficient.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to tushark8069

Sorry, but this is only half of the truth. Records do not store any data on their own, but rely on a backend system for data persistence.

A CDT does also not store any data, but is just the definition of a data structure which CAN be used to write data to a DB using a data store.

But in general, I agree. For most use cases Appian Records make live easier.

Reply Children