eSignature in embedded PDF

We are looking to achieve an in-app eSignature function within our Appian workflow process. Is this available?

DocuSign integrations are available in the AppMarket, but all seem to route the user outside of Appian to the DocuSign platform to capture the approver's signature.

Adobe Sign Utility & Sign PDF Document both seem to be more in line with our request, but I would like to confirm if either are feasible.

Screenshot below shows the PDF embedded in the review pane where we would like to capture the eSignature directly within Appian. 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• +1
    Certified Lead Developer

I currently work with a system using the Adobe Sign integration.  Overall it works well.  The main issue we keep running into (which is more of a User Training issue, and more of an issue with Adobe Sign itself than with Appian), is that when the user gets their Appian task containing a portal to fill and/or sign their Adobe Sign document, the Adobe Sign integration contains its own "Complete" or "Submit" button, and the users will merely do that and then close the Appian task without hitting any Submit button.  This, of course, prevents the Appian process from proceeding which is critical.

This still happens (if somewhat less) even after we've added large, bold, obvious instruction text on the form header explaining that they absolutely must press the button OUTSIDE the integration pane labelled "send to reviewer" (etc).  AFAIK there would still be the same type of issue regardless of the type of integration used.  For now we're just doubling down on the "user training" angle to solve this issue.

• Hi Mike, this is super helpful. If I understand the pain point correctly, it's due to the approver having to complete/submit their signature and also click the submit button for the Appian workflow approval. If that's the case, I personally would prefer that over the user being required to open a separate link to DocuSign to enter their signature while still completing the Appian approval.

To confirm, you have it configured so the Adobe Sign is embedded within Appian, correct? For example, in the screenshot I included in my post, our preference is for the user to enter their signature directly in that PDF pane.

Do you have any screenshots or reference documents you can share?

• +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to MFasciano

Correct - the Adobe Sign integration was built such that it simply embeds the "Signing URL" returned by the integration, and this can be consumed by the (OOTB) Web Content viewer field.

I don't have any screenshots prepared that might not have project-specific details shown, but if I stumble on any I'll let you know.  But I can confirm you'd be able to implement it in a pretty similar fashion to your mock-up screenshot, and without the silly "page preview" pane showing on the left, as an added bonus.

Edit to add: here's a screenshot of a (redacted) live task in our system, and yes, some users still do manage to miss the font-size-one-million bright-red warning text.

• Thanks again for sharing. This is a great reference for our team as they proceed with planning and design for this functionality. Appreciate your help!

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to MFasciano

Cool, thanks for the feedback.  When you get a chance I'd appreciate if you could click "verify answer" (or whatever option you're presented with), just for those elusive Community brownie points Wink

• Hi Mike, I am doing the same way using DocuSign and signing is working fine but when signing is completed(Click on Finish) the web content field fails to load the returned url and returns the error as - Unsafe content detected and removed. Please reload to continue. Any solution for this.

PS: Same URL works fine when test in unnamed interface within web content field. I am still trying to understand why web content field component behave so differently.

Thanks is advance.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to chitra_sharma

I don't have any specific insight into the particulars of using DocuSign URLs - i haven't seen an error message similar to the one you describe when designing or testing Adobe Sign documents though.

• Hi Mike, our development team is running into some issues with the Adobe Sign integration where the authentication token needs to be manually refreshed every hour. Did you experience this issue as well? If so, any insight on how this was resolved?

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to MFasciano

We've actually never had an issue with the auth token either way.  Are you not using a Connected System into echosign with an API Key?  AFAIK we've never needed to change ours since it's been set up.

• Are you using "OAuth 2.0: Authorization Code Grant"? That is what we've configured, which has resulted in the recurring issues with the authorization token refresh.