Exam Name: Appian Senior Developer
Requirement(s): Associate Developer Certification
Number of items: 40 Items
Duration: 60 Minutes
Cut Score: 65%*
*All exam scores are final, for more information see our program policies.
This exam validates your knowledge and skills of delivering scalable and high-performing Appian applications. This page will help you understand the expectations of a Senior Developer as well as provide you with resources to prepare for the exam itself.
Appian Certified Senior Developers have between six (6) and 12 months of focused Appian project delivery experience. Senior Developers can independently convert complex business requirements into functioning pieces of application with minimal guidance. They understand the basic concepts of Appian’s platform architecture and leverage that knowledge while designing and implementing scalable applications.
Senior Developers are able to design, build, test, deploy, and maintain Appian applications. They properly utilize each of Appian’s core components and implement them according to proven design patterns. They can design a relational data model for an application and perform advanced database functions. Furthermore, Senior Developers have an academic understanding of advanced Appian components and configurations such as plugins and connected systems. They often troubleshoot and debug common issues, and know where to locate more information when required.
Senior Developers routinely configure and administer the Appian platform, including user management and deployment to multiple environments. They have a comprehensive understanding of business process management (BPM), and a high-level understanding of how businesses use automation technologies to improve their processes. With that knowledge, Senior Developers help guide project teams by performing code reviews and acting as technical resources. They also serve as a point of escalation for junior developers within the team regarding performance and scalability issues. Senior Developers work closely with the client’s internal teams, such as database administrators, DevOps leads, and quality assurance throughout the project lifecycle.
Lastly, Senior Developers stay on top of each Appian release and updates while actively contributing to Appian Community.
Candidates should fully prepare for an exam using the objectives below as a checklist to identify possible gaps between knowledge and the skills measured by the exam. The relative weight illustrates the approximate size of each section. It is recommended that focused preparation should be in areas where any knowledge gaps are found.
Platform Maintenance (15%)
- Troubleshoot applications using a variety of sources (i.e. logs, performance dashboards, administration console)
- Perform technical review of application work
- Configure the administration console
Relational Databases (15%)
- Implement complex data models and maintain supporting objects (i.e. views, triggers, stored procedures, etc.)
- Design data models implementing business data requirements and correctly document them
Application Design and Management (35%)
- Implement development best practices
- Deploy application artifacts from environment to environment (i.e. application objects, patches, SQL statements, etc.)
- Read, translate and transform relational data within Appian
- Construct an end-to-end application using a variety of objects
- Convert business requirements into user stories leveraging Appian functionality
- Follow user experience best practices
Advanced Object Usage (10%)
- Create and configure simple connected system objects
- Identify use cases and hazards of using a plug-in
Performance & Scalability (25%)
- Design Appian components to be performant
- Implement and monitor application data management strategies to keep a clean and performant environment
- Identify and communicate user-facing performance concerns
- Identify potential performance risks associated with server memory using Process Monitoring tab
- Perform database load testing, configure automated testing tools, and provide recommendations based on results
Preparation is the key to certification success. While training is not required, we do provide specific course recommendations that provide you with skills validated by the exam. It’s important that you couple your technical training and familiarity with Appian documentation with practical application to ensure your highest chances for success on your exam. Use the below resources to guide your preparation based on a thorough review of the exam objectives.
The Senior Developer certification builds upon the knowledge and skills of an Associate Developer.
- My Learning Journey
- Appian Documentation
- Appian Knowledge Base
- Appian Methodology
- Developer Playbook
- Senior Developer Practice Test
- Hands-on, real-world experience