Hello everyone. I'm trying to solve for an issue that has rendered the news

Hello everyone. I'm trying to solve for an issue that has rendered the news feed useles for our organizeation. I have a number of processes where a request is entered by a user, assigned to a group, then a user from that group takes ownership. The request may get reassigned to different users to complete the work along the way. I want to have a news feed item that gets generated when the request is submitted only visable to the requestor, then when the analyst picks up the request, the feed should become visable to them also. If the request gets reassigned, the feed should become visable to the new analyst also. The problem is that once the viewers are established, I have no way to update who the viewers are. So I'm stuck with only the reqeustor or everyone since I don't knwo who the analyst will be when I initiate the post and I have no idea how many times the task may get reassigned. Follow record doesn't help since it is still limited by the securi...

OriginalPostID-205086

OriginalPostID-205086

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• ...ty of the initial post. Does anyone have a solve for this? Thanks!
    Certified Lead Developer
    You could create a group for each post, assign as viewer, then add as needed.

Also, not knowing your use case, I would ask if this is the right usage of news. News should raise awareness. As these people are active participants, awareness isn't being raised Beowulf a report or record do what you are looking for (searching, displaying key data, etc).

Thanks!
  • Thanks for the quick feedback! I considered the dynamic group option, but I would be generating about 35K groups a year, so I wanted to avoid that. The idea is that awareness is raised to the requestor whenever a key update is achieved on the request. It is also a way for the analyst and requstor to chat back and forth about the request right from the news tab of the request record.
  • Are your visibility restrictions about data security, or are they more focused on preventing clutter?

If it's more about clutter and it's OK for users that are not involved with a request to stumble upon a news feed post if they search for it, you could just have your users unsubscribe from the feed when you enroll them in your App. As users are added or removed from the request, then you can handle it with Follow Record. This will make it so that users that aren't involved with the request won't see the posts when they go to news and users that are involved will.
  • THanks for the good feedback and suggestion! It's about clutter. I want to make sure each post is relevant to the user, but security is not a concern here. Is there a way for me to unsubscribe all users from the feed from an admin console, then use follow record an a case by case basis as you suggest? I have over 900 users, so I won't get them to all go in on their own and unsubscribe.
  • I'm not aware of any way to programmatically unsubscribe users from a feed in bulk. In the past I've just tackled it as a part of training. Often times we'll also use the personalization feature which allows the end user to decide if they want to see all posts to the feed, only posts that are relevant to his or her business group, or only posts that are associated with requests he or she is assigned to.
  • We have the same issue but it is more a security/visibility issue. We would like to update the Viewer on a News item after the fact. As mentioned, we don't want to create a group for every Application we receive (our news items are tied to Applications).
  • Well, just when I though personalizeation may help me, I dug deeper to find I need to set the personalization group in the process model while initiating the first feed item. This leaves me no better off than the Viewer group option and would still force me to have a dynamic group for each instance of the process. Hopefuly a way to reset the viewers will come in the future, for now it appears I'm stuck. On A side note, is there any way to default the news page to open with Participating selected? That may help a little.