You are currently reviewing an older revision of this page.

KB-2016 Mobile FAQ

The purpose of this article is to provide answers to some of the common questions related to the Appian mobile app.

Table of Contents:

Mobile Application 

What versions of the Appian mobile app are supported?

The Product Release History shows the supported versions for the Appian mobile app.

How do I enable diagnostic logging for the Appian mobile app?

KB-1754 details how to enable diagnostic logging for the Appian mobile app.

Does my mobile app version need to match my Appian version?

As mentioned in the Mobile Device documentation, the latest version of the Appian mobile app is always backward-compatible with previous Appian versions. However, the Appian version cannot be more than two versions higher than the mobile app.

For example, the mobile app can be on version 19.3 with Appian 18.3, or the mobile app can be on version 19.1 with Appian 19.3. However, the mobile app cannot be on version 18.4 with Appian 19.3.

How often is the Appian mobile app updated?

A new major version of the Appian mobile app is released at least once a quarter.

I noticed clicking task links while on Mobile opens the task in the mobile browser, rather than the app. How can I open the task links in the app?

In Appian 19.2 and above, Admins can enable link redirection for mobile users through the Mobile section of the Admin console. Once enabled, clicking links on Mobile devices will prompt users to open it in the Mobile App. This feature requires Mobile App version 19.2 or above.

Appian Mobile version 19.2 and above also supports Universal Links on iOS. This feature is available for all customers with Appian Cloud environments that use the Appian for Mobile Devices iOS application from the App Store.

Why do I see "session timeout" notifications and need to log in with SSO every time I close Appian iOS, but not on Appian Android?

This behavior is expected as there are key differences between how iOS and Android operating systems reestablish sessions for their respective applications.

In iOS, users will always be presented with a "session timeout" screen because when using SAML authentication, the Appian server cannot issue a "Remember Me" cookie. This differes from Appian authentication where the cookie can be stored. Hence, when relaunching the application, it is necessary to open a browser to the SSO IdP page in order to reestablish an Appian session. iOS does not provide the ability to automatically open the browser without the user's explicit consent, so the "session timeout" screen is shown to provide context as to why users are redirected to a prompt authorizing Appian to sign in. It is expected that users will always see the "session timeout" screen when relaunching the app (unless the "sign out" button is explicitly clicked before this).

The session timeout screen does not exist on Appian Android, since on Android a standalone browser is able to automatically open to establish and store a new session. Android users will stay logged in when closing and opening the application, unless the session expires as determined by the IdP.

This behavior is expected as there are key differences between how iOS and Android operating systems reestablish sessions for their respective applications.

In iOS, users will always be presented with a "session timeout" screen because when using SAML authentication, the Appian server cannot issue a "Remember Me" cookie. This differes from Appian authentication where the cookie can be stored. Hence, when relaunching the application, it is necessary to open a browser to the SSO IdP page in order to reestablish an Appian session. iOS does not provide the ability to automatically open the browser without the user's explicit consent, so the "session timeout" screen is shown to provide context as to why users are redirected to a prompt authorizing Appian to sign in. It is expected that users will always see the "session timeout" screen when relaunching the app (unless the "sign out" button is explicitly clicked before this).

The session timeout screen does not exist on Appian Android, since on Android a standalone browser is able to automatically open to establish and store a new session. Android users will stay logged in when closing and opening the application, unless the session expires as determined by the IdP.

Mobile Branding Process

How can I create a custom branded mobile application?

Forum users can use the Mobile Branding site to create custom branded mobile applications. Please review the Custom Mobile Application documentation for more details.

Can I request an Appian app version other than the latest version through the Mobile Branding site?

No, Appian does not support providing older application versions through the Mobile Branding site.

Apple is requesting screenshots of my Custom Branded Build prior to upload to the Apple store. Can Appian provide these?

No, customers are able to acquire these screenshots by installing the custom branded application on a device and taking screenshots prior to upload.

I would only like some members of my organization to receive emails about a requested Custom Branded Build. How can I change who receives these emails?

When requesting a build, select the "Customize Email Notification Recipients" checkbox and enter only the members who should receive emails for this process.

Can Appian provide the stock iOS IPA and Android APK files for the mobile application?

Yes, the stock iOS IPA and Android APK can be downloaded directly from the Mobile Branding site using the "Request Stock Build Configurations" link. This link is only available if a set of stock builds has not already been requested.

Provisioning Tool

Do I need to download the latest provisioning tool version prior to each run?

No, the provisioning tool automatically updates itself to the latest version every time it is run.

My Provisioning Profile says "Status: Invalid Account Type", but I'm able to generate my provisioning assets successfully. Is this an issue?

Appian pulls the status as it appears in the Apple Developer site. Appian recommends checking your Apple Developer Site for any notifications regarding your account status. For any issues regarding this, please contact Apple Support. This status will not impact the Mobile Provisioning Process.

When selecting a signing certificate, the provisioning tool says my certificate has never been sent to Appian. How can I fix this?

Review KB-2147 for more details on the cause and action steps to resolve the issue.

Affected Versions

This article applies to all versions of the Appian Mobile App.

Last Reviewed: September 2020